This tomato and Parmesan cheese tart isas tasty as it is beautiful. Great for a light dinner or as anappetizer.
Recipe: Tomato Parmesan Tart
1 cup all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 to 4 tablespoons ice-cold waterFilling:
2 large eggs
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper4 whole tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare crust: In mixer or food processor,combine all crust ingredients except water. Mix or pulse untilwell combined, but pea-sized pieces of butter are still visible.Add 7 tablespoons water, and mix or pulse until just combined.Add more water if necessary to get dough to come together. Turndough out and roll 1/8-inch thick, and to fit the tart pan. Prickbottom of tart crust with fork to prevent bubbles. Place in refrigeratorto chill for at least 15 minutes. Pre-heat oven to 400°F(205°C). Pre-bake crust for 20 to 25 minutes until pale goldenbrown.
- While crust is baking, prepare custardand tomatoes.
- To prepare filling: In small bowl, beateggs with cream, salt and pepper. Set aside. Slice tomatoes 1/4-inchthick, sprinkle with 2 teaspoons salt, and set on layers of papertowels to absorb excess juices. Let sit on paper towels for about10 to15 minutes to drain.
- When crust is pre-baked, remove from ovenand sprinkle one quarter of the remaining Parmesan cheese onthe bottom. Then layer slices of tomatoes on bottom in singlelayer, slightly overlapping. Pour custard over tart, sprinklewith half of remaining Parmesan cheese. Repeat process for remainingtart.
- Bake at 400°F (205°C) for 20 to25 minutes until custard is set.
- Serve hot, or let cool to room temperaturebefore serving. Refrigerate any remaining tart promptly.Makes 1 (10-inch) tart.Recipe and photograph provided courtesyof the California Tomato Commission.
Mini Tomato Parmesan TartsIf the Tomato Parmesan Tart recipe was useful and interesting, you can share it with your friends or leave a comment.