A basic icing, with variations, fordrizzling atop sweet quick breads, yeast breads, muffins, cakes,bars, cookies and more.
Another delicious recipe from our Family-FavoriteRecipes Collection.
Recipe: Simple Vanilla Icingwith Variations
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted2 to 4 tablespoons milk or water*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Makes about 2 cups.
*Start with the least amount of liquidand add more until desired consistency is reached.
- This is a very forgiving recipe, if itbecomes too thin add more powdered sugar and too thick add moreliquid until you’re happy with it.
- Need less icing? Recipe can be successfullyreduced by half.
- Butter-Rum Icing:Omit the vanilla and add 1 teaspoon rum flavoring.
- Chocolate Icing:Stir in 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder and use hot water,increasing water to 5 or 6 tablespoons.
- Lemon Icing:Stir in 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel and replace milk or waterwith lemon juice.
- Orange Icing:Stir in 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel and replace milk or waterwith orange juice.
Copyright Hope Pryor, please see Termsof Use. Photograph by Hope Pryor; property of CooksRecipes.com.
Easy Buttercream Frosting RecipeIf the Simple Vanilla Icingwith Variations recipe was useful and interesting, you can share it with your friends or leave a comment.