Homemade ice cream, one of the quintessentialtreats of summertime — with loads of delicious variations!
Recipe: Frozen Custard IceCream with Variations
6 large eggs
2 cups milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups whipping cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Makes 1 1/2 to 2 quarts.
- Banana Nut:Reduce vanilla extract to 1 1/2 teaspoons. Cook and cool as above.Stir 3 large ripe bananas, mashed and 1/2 cup chopped toastedpecans into custard mixture. Freeze as above.
- Cherry:Reduce vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon. Add 2 tablespoons almondextract. Cook and cool as above. Partially freeze. Add 2 poundspitted pureed dark sweet fresh cherries or 1 (16 to 17-ounce)can pitted dark sweet cherries, drained and chopped. Completefreezing.
- Chocolate:Add 3 (1-ounce each) squares unsweetened chocolate to egg mixture.Cook, cool and freeze as above.
- Plum:Reduce vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon. Cook and cool as above.Partially freeze. Add 1 1/2 pounds pitted pureed ripe fresh plums.Complete freezing.
- Strawberry:Omit vanilla extract. Cook and cool as above. Partially freeze.Add 2 cups sweetened crushed fresh strawberries. Complete freezing.
Recipe provided courtesy of the AmericanEgg Board.
Kulfi (Ice Cream)If the Frozen Custard IceCream with Variations recipe was useful and interesting, you can share it with your friends or leave a comment.