Chocolate filled braid and steaming hotcoffee-just the perfect combination for a chilly winter day ora sunny morning. A wonderful recipe perfect for brunch createdby Kimberly Betz, Indiana, PA
Recipe: Chocolate-Filled Braid
2 cups (12 ounce package) NESTL ® TOLL HOUSE®Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
2/3 cup (5 ounce can) NESTL ® CARNATION® EvaporatedMilk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 3/4 to 6 1/4 cups all-purpose flour – divided use
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 (1/4-ounce) packets active-dry or fast-rising yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1/2 cup water
2 large eggs
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk, (just enough for drizzling consistency)
- For Chocolate Filling: Heat morsels, evaporatedmilk and 1/4 cup granulated sugar in small saucepan until morselsare melted and mixture is smooth; remove from heat. Stir in nuts,2 teaspoons vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- For Braid: Combine 4 cups flour, 1/4 cupgranulated sugar, yeast and salt in large mixer bowl.
- Heat milk, butter and water just untilwarm (120°F to 130°F / 50°C to 55°C) and butteralmost melts. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; add eggs. Beaton low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl often. Beat on highspeed for 3 minutes. Stir in as much of remaining flour as possible.
- Turn dough out onto slightly floured surface.Knead in remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough thatis smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes). Cover; let rest for 10minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).Line two baking sheets with foil.
- Divide dough in half. Roll half of doughinto 18 x 10-inch rectangle. Place dough on one prepared bakingsheet. Spread half of chocolate filling lengthwise down centerof dough. Cut 1-inch wide diagonal strips on both sides of doughto within 3/4 inch of filling. Crisscross dough strips over filling.Leave as long braid or bring ends together to form a ring, pinchingends to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover;let rise in warm place for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until goldenbrown; cool completely on baking sheet on wire rack.
For Icing: Combine powdered sugar, 2 tablespoonsmelted butter and remaining vanilla extract in small bowl. Slowlyadd enough milk for drizzling consistency; stir. Drizzle icingover braids. Cut into slices.
Makes 36 slices total (2 braids).
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 35 mins
Cooling Time: 10 mins standing
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/36of recipe): Calories: 250 Calories from Fat: 100 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 6 g Cholesterol: 30 mg Sodium: 115 mg Carbohydrates:32 g Dietary Fiber: 1 g Sugars: 15 g Protein: 4 g
Recipe and photograph are the propertyof Nestl ® and Meals.com, used with permission.
If the Chocolate-FilledBraid recipe was useful and interesting, you can share it with your friends or leave a comment.